A mango tree requires the right kind of nutrition for quality and quantity production, and this involves the supply of both macro and micronutrients.
Macronutrients include Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Sulphur. They are needed by the plant in relatively higher quantities.
Micronutrients are required in low amounts and include Copper, Iron, Zinc, Manganese and Boron.
These nutrients can be supplied through basal fertilizers and foliar feeds application.
Application of manure is necessary for soils with little or no organic matter. It releases its nutrients slowly throughout the growing period and adds organic matter to the soil.
Soil testing before planting as it helps in determining the fertility level of the soil.
Importance of a proper nutrition in mango trees
- Establishes a good plant early growth
- Boosts yield and tree productivity
- Ensures a continued strong growth
- Improves fruit set and fruit retention
- Minimizes fruit drop, prevent fruit deformities or storage problems
- Boosts plant’s vigor and reduces skin disorders
- Improves fruit quality e.g. appearance, shape, flavour, taste etc.
Mango trees require varied types and amounts of nutrients at their different stages of growth and development, and therefore fertilizer application should be done at the right time and at the right rate for best results.
The schedule of nutrient supply should be adjusted in accordance to the different growth and development stages of mango trees.
Early growth stage
This is the period between sowing, germination/sprouting and about several weeks after seedlings emergence.
Seeds soaked in OPTIMIZER 20ml/1l for 6-12hours germinate faster and uniformly. Optimizer also promotes rapid rooting of grafts.
During this stage, trees should be sprayed with LAVENDER 20ml/20l or GOLDCHANCE SUPER START 50g/20l or LEGENDARY 40ml/20l or PLANT SOUL 20ml/20l or ZINC GOLD 10ml/20l.
DAP should also be applied.
These fertilizers provide the relevant nutrients that are needed at this tender growth stage.
At this stage, seedlings grow into young trees and energy is directed into relatively fast vegetative growth.
Food is made during this stage for use in the next phase (flowering &fruiting), and nitrogenous fertilizers are most encouraged.
Spray the trees with LAVENDER 20ml/20l or GOLDCHANCE SUPER GROWTH 50g/20l.
Top dress with CAN.
Other nitrogenous basal fertilizers like N.P.K 23.23.0, can also be applied in order to ensure the plants get sufficient nutrients.
Flowering, fruit set & maturity stage
This involves flower bud formation, flowering, fruit set and maturity of the fruits.
Spray the trees with GOLDCHANCE SUPER FLOWERS & FRUITS 50g/20l or DIMIPHITE 20ml/20l or GREENPHITE 40ml/20l or LEGENDARY 40ml/20l.
These fertilizers induce flowering, promote good fruit set and quality, increased fruit size, continued growth and yield maintenance among other benefits.
BIODISTINCTION XTRA, EURO GOLD, VITABOR GOLD and FERRARI GOLD also improve productivity, promote good fruit set, prevent fruit and flower abortion and improve the general quality of the fruits.
Apply basal fertilizers rich in potassium like N.P.K 17.17.17.
- Spray trees with OPTIMIZER 10ml/20l at any stage of growth. It is a biostimulant which stimulates the trees to grow faster, helps them to withstand stressful conditions, adds nutrients to the growing plants, stimulates growth of shoots, and development of chlorophyll for photosynthesis, among other functions.
- All foliar sprays should be incorporated with INTEGRA 3ml/20l. This is a sticker, spreader and penetrant which improves on the absorption of the fertilizer by the foliage of the crop.
- All basal fertilizers and manures should be mixed with HUMIPOWER, which adds organic matter to the soil, shifts pH to optimum making nutrients available, reduces leaching and minimizes runoff among other benefits.
- A repeat of foliar feed spray should be done on weekly basis.