Beans require a proper nutrition, for optimal productivity.
This involves the application of both basal and foliar fertilizers which provide macro and micronutrient elements.
Macroelements are required in relatively large quantities e.g., Nitrogen, Potassium, while microelements are needed in smaller quantities, e.g. Boron, Copper.
Basal fertilizers, e.g. DAP, CAN and NPK are absorbed by the crop through the roots while foliar feeds e.g. OPTIMIZER, GOLDCHANCE and DIMIPHITE are taken up through the crop’s foliage.
Application of manure is necessary for soils not rich in organic matter. It releases its nutrients slowly throughout the growing period and adds organic matter to the soil.
Benefits of a proper nutrition in beans
- Establishes a good early growth
- Boosts yield and crop productivity
- Ensures a continued strong crop growth
- Minimizes flower and flower bud abortion
- Boosts plant’s vigor
- Improves the quality of produce e.g. size, appearance, shape, flavor, taste etc.
Fertilizer Application Schedule
Nutrients should be applied as accurately as possible either slightly before, or at the time the crop needs them.
Nutrient-deficient crops are weak and susceptible to attack by pathogens and this greatly affects yield.
Early growth stage
This is the period between planting, germination and about 2-3 weeks after beans emergence.
To break seed dormancy and promote uniform germination, soak seeds for 6-12 hours in OPTIMIZER 20 ml per litre before planting.
To encourage a rapid root development and ensure a balanced plant growth, the young plants should be sprayed with GOLDCHANCE SUPER START 2.5 g/l or Lavender Super Start 1 ml/l or Legendary 2 ml/l or Plant Soul 1 ml/l.
Application of DAP during planting is very essential.
These fertilizers supply adequate nutrients that are needed for sufficient growth and development of the crop at this stage.
Vegetative growth stage
This is the stage when the crop is actively growing and photosynthesizing in order to accumulate enough resources for use during the next growth and development phase.
To promote a faster vegetative growth, increase crop resistance to diseases and weather stress and ensure a balanced growth of the crop, spray Goldchance Super Growth 2.5 g/l or Lavender Super Growth 1 ml/l.
Top dressing using CAN is important.
Other nitrogenous basal fertilizers like N.P.K 23.23.0 could also be applied during this stage.
This stage involves flowering, development of pods and their maturity.
Higher amounts of potassium, calcium, and boron are required.
To initiate flowering, prevent the abortion of flowers and pods, and to ensure quality and quantity production, spray the crop with Goldchance Multi Super K 2.5 g/l or Legendary 2 ml/l or Dimiphite 1 ml/l or Vitabor Gold 1.5 ml/l or Biodistinction Xtra 2.5 ml/l.
Basal fertilizers rich in Potassium, like N.P.K 17.17.17 should also be applied.
- Spray the crop with OPTIMIZER 0.5 ml/l at any stage of growth. It boosts the crop’s immunity, manages stress and to improve the general performance of the crop.
- All basal fertilizers and manure should be mixed with HUMIPOWER at the rate of 1 kg Humipower into 50 kg fertilizer or 1 ton of manure. It is an excellent soil amendment and fertilizer blend.
- Whenever doing foliar sprays, always mix the foliar feed with INTEGRA 3 ml/20l. This is a sticker, spreader, and penetrant which improves the absorption of the fertilizer by the foliage of the crop.
- A repeat of foliar spray should be done on weekly basis for best results.