Although not taken with the seriousness it deserves, nutrition in millet is very key.
In order to ensure an optimal productivity, the crop should be supplied with sufficient amounts of nutrients, which involves both macro and micronutrients.
Macronutrients are required in large quantities, e.g. Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, etc. while micronutrients are needed in smaller amounts, e.g. Iron, Zinc, Copper.
These nutrients can be supplied through application of basal fertilizers, e.g. DAP, CAN etc., and foliar fertilizers, e.g. OPTIMIZER, LAVENDER, and DIMIPHITE.
Basal fertilizers are absorbed by the crop through the roots, whereas foliar fertilizers are taken up through the foliage.
For soils with little or no organic matter, manure should be added.
Soil analysis should be done to determine the level of different nutrients in the soil in order to know the quantities needed.
Benefits of a proper nutrition in millet crop
They include the following;
- Ensures rapid root development and good crop establishment
- Increases photosynthetic activity
- Maintains good growth for high yields
- Ensures good plant strength.
- Promotes good grain set
- Boosts plant’s vigor, yield and crop productivity
FERTILIZER APPLICATION SCHEDULE
Fertilizer application should be done at the right time and at the right rate for best results.
Early growth stage
This stage involves seed sowing, germination and about 2-3 weeks after the emergence of the seedlings.
To promote uniform germination and break seed dormancy, soak seeds in OPTIMIZER 20ml/1l overnight.
Newly emerged seedlings are sprayed with LAVENDER 20ml/20l or GOLDCHANCE SUPER START 50g/20l or LEGENDARY 40ml/20l or PLANT SOUL 20ml/20l or ZINC GOLD 10ml/20l.
Application of DAP during planting is very important.
These fertilizers ensure rapid root development, facilitate balanced plant growth and enhance the natural defense system of the young crop.
Vegetative growth stage
During this stage, the crop begins to grow vigorously and photosynthesize in order to accumulate enough food resources for use in the reproduction stage.
Application of nitrogenous fertilizers is highly encouraged.
Spray the crop with LAVENDER 20ml/20l or GOLDCHANCE SUPER GROWTH 50g/20l.
Top dressing with CAN is done when the crop is about 30cm high.
Other nitrogenous basal fertilizers like N.P.K 23.23.0, can also be applied.
These fertilizers promote a faster vegetative growth, increase crop resistance to diseases and weather stress and ensure a balanced growth of the crops.
This stage entails flowering, fertilization, grain filling and maturity of the crop.
Spray the crop with GOLDCHANCE SUPER FLOWERS & FRUITS 50g/20l or DIMIPHITE 20ml/20l or LEGENDARY 40ml/20l or BIODISTINCTION XTRA 20ml/20l.
Potassium-rich basal fertilizers like N.P.K 17.17.17 should also be applied.
These fertilizers induce flowering, promote good grain filling and quality, increase crop resistance to infections and weather stress, ensure a balanced crop growth, improve crop productivity and promote tillering, among other benefits.
- Spray crops with OPTIMIZER 10ml/20l at any stage of crop growth. It is a biostimulant which stimulates the crops to grow faster, helps them to withstand stressful conditions and adds nutrients to the growing plants among other functions.
- A repeat of foliar feed spray should be done on weekly basis
- All foliar sprays should be incorporated with INTEGRA 3ml/20l. This is a sticker, spreader and penetrant which improves on the absorption of the fertilizer by the foliage of the crop.
- All basal fertilizers and manures should be mixed with HUMIPOWER, which adds organic matter to the soil, stabilizes soil pH making nutrients available, reduces leaching and minimizes runoff among other benefits.